This dish is unique in taste and texture as prepared with drumstick flowers and buds. These flowers are available in the winter season and for only one month. This is not so commonly made in most households. The reason may be its preparation is a little bit task and time taking. This dish has been popular with the Punjabi families who came from undivided Punjab. There are also a few more variations in south India. They make stir fries of it by adding eggs or any other seasonal veggies. In West Bengal also, these drumstick flowers are prepared with other veggies.
|Drumstick /Sahjan /Swanjhane Flower Sabji
The sahjan tree is a wonderful one and most of its parts have medicinal values. Its leaves, flowers and drumsticks are edible and used in one or the other dishes….. Though these flowers and buds are bitter in taste but boiling twice with salt and turmeric powder make their taste neutral. This dish goes very well with peas as they add flavour to it.
Preparation time – 40 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Ready in – 60 minutes
Servings – 4
Cuisine – Punjabi
Author – Bharti Dhawan
1- Drumstick flowers and buds – 250 gms
2- Peas or peeled matar – 200 gms
3- Ghee – 2 tbsp
4- Salt for sabji – as per taste + 2 tbsp while boiling the flowers
5- Turmeric powder for sabji – 1 Tsp + 2 tsp while boiling the flowers
6- Red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder – 1 Tsp each
7- Finely chopped onions – 1 big sized
8- Finely chopped tomatoes – 1 big sized
9- Finely chopped ginger and green chillies – 1 Tsp each
Preparation Steps -:
* Take out unwanted stems and other stuff out of drumstick flowers.
* In a big saucepan add approx.1 and a half lt of water to boil. Add 1 tbsp of salt and 1 Tsp of turmeric powder. Add washed drumstick flowers and let them boil on high flame for 15 minutes
* Switch off the gas and seave them to drain water. Now wash them under running water so that it’s bitterness is washed out.
* Now take a handful of them each time and squeeze well to make a ball shape
* Once again take the same quantity of water, salt and turmeric powder and squeezed flowers and keep them for boiling.
* Repeat the same process once again and keep the squeezed flowers aside to start making sabji
METHOD FOR DRUMSTIC FLOWER KI SABJI -:
1- Boil peas in 1 cup of water and keep aside.Also, keep the water as it will be used later for the dish
2- Heat ghee in a kadhai and add chopped ginger and green chillies.
Stir them for 2 minutes and add chopped onions. Stir them until golden.
3- Add chopped tomatoes and stir. Now add salt and powdered spices and add chopped tomatoes and stir. Add little water and cover with lid until the masala is cooked and leaves the ghee.
4- Time to add boiled and squeezed drumstick flowers and stir well to mix everything together.
Now add boiled peas and stir. Add the water which was kept after boiling the peas
Cook this dish covered for 2 minutes to finish
5- Tasty drumstick flowers/sahjan or swanjhne ki sabji is ready to serve with roti or parantha