Phirni is thick and creamy rice and milk based pudding whose consistency is quite different from the popular rice kheer. Though the basic ingredients are same yet rice kheer is cooked with fragrant whole grain rice and kept a little liquidy or runny, whereas phirni is cooked to a thicker consistency and set into the earthen pots or flat dishes. The origin of this delectable pudding is believed to be the Persia but who cares when there is a bowlful of this delectable dessert to splurge! Just enjoy your mouthful of that delicious delicacy.
As the temperature is quite high and heat is on its peak these days, I have given this phirni the flavours of thandai. Thandai masala is considered to fight against the killer heat as all the ingredients of it have a cool effect on the body like soaked almonds, saunf, melon seeds, rose water, rose petals and black pepper. Above all, the setting into earthen pots indicates that this is a summer dessert which gives you a relief from the heat
Prep time – 40 min
Cook time – 40 min
Course – Dessert
Cuisine – Indian Subcontinent
Author – Bharti Dhawan
• Full cream milk – 500ml+100 ml while grinding
• Soaked rice – 2 tsp (Soaked for 30-40 min)
• Almond (soaked and peeled) – 10 nos. + some for garnish
• Mellon or water Mellon seeds – 1 tbsp
• Saunf /fennel seeds – 1 tsp
• Whole black pepper – 1/2 tsp
• Sugar – 1/2 cup
• Rose water – 1tablespoon
• Some finely chopped dry fruits and rose petals for garnishing
1- Firstly grind soaked rice, almonds, melon seeds, saunf/fennel seeds, rose petals and black pepper to a fine paste. Add some milk to ease the grinding
2- Mix the paste of all these ingredients to the cold milk and then put to boil at slow flame
* Recommended to mix them in the cold milk to avoid lumps
3- Keep on stirring continuously otherwise the rice almond paste will stick to the bottom. Add sugar and keep stirring until the milk is reduced to half quantity.
4- Soon the phirni will get the thicker consistency and start coming together
Turn off the gas and let it cool for a minute or two. Time to add rose water and mix.
Immediately pour the prepared phirni into bowls and chill for hours
5- Serve with chopped dry fruits and rose petals on top.
* if you delay transferring into bowls, the phirni starts to set in the pan then you will find it hard to pour
You May Also Like